The primary objective of the AB Leadership Incubation Program is to provide challenging opportunities for talented undergraduate and graduate students from Nigeria and international institutions to gain practical insights into the operational environment of Aina Blankson, LP as a leading global law ﬁrm.
The Program is designed to provide an enriching experience characterized by measurable on-the-job training, designed to help individuals succeed and thrive.
Our Mantra “Leaders-Thinkers-Minds” (LTM) supports this vision, and the program aims to identify, engage and groom authentic visionary leaders who can compete in any environment.
In the course of this program you should expect to be challenged, supported and empowered to be the best version of yourself. You will work with a dedicated team to tackle several projects and will have to operate well out of your comfort zone at times.
Your ideas are invaluable and you will be required to hone your listening, communication and presentation skills, put forward reasoned suggestions and play an active role in your assigned teams.
We want fresh creative ideas which can make a difference to our clients, our Firm and society at large. Do you have what it takes to be a change-maker?
The LIP Graduateship is classiﬁed into two tracks; Graduate Trainee and National Service Trainee.
- To qualify as a Graduate Trainee, the applicant must have completed his/her Bachelors and/or Master's Degree program from a reputable tertiary institution. Intending law applicants must be qualiﬁed legal practitioners with about 1 - 3 years' cognate work experience or post call to the Nigerian Bar Association or any other recognized qualifying Bar.
- The National Service Trainees are candidates seeking to complete their compulsory National Youth Service Program in Aina Blankson. The minimum duration is 9 months. Applicants for both categories must not be more than 30 years in age, unless exceptional circumstances necessitate a reconsideration by the recruitment team.
We oﬀer internship opportunities to students studying both in Nigeria and overseas willing to gain practical work experience in an international law ﬁrm in Nigeria. Our internship scheme is categorized into three to wit:
- Scholar Intern: provides internship opportunities for candidates currently pursuing a college/university degree. The prospective candidate must have completed at least the second year of university as an international applicant or must have completed the third year of study as a national applicant. Our scholar interns are exposed to practical legal work. Selection is based on a number of criteria, including excellent oral and written communication skills, strong academic ability, commercial awareness, legal knowledge, etc. the minimum duration is 30 days.
- Extern: This is an experiential learning opportunity organized by AB that allows students apply lessons from their course work to practical real-life situations. Our externship program is currently oﬀered in partnership with select Law Schools and Educational Institutions to give engaged students short practical experiences in their ﬁeld of study. The duration for the externship program is usually 1-3 months, during which we give adequate time for capacity development, coaching, mentoring and tutorship to enable our externs understand the nuances of the law school examination.
- Gap-Year Intern: This program is aimed at graduate level students, seeking an interim job, whilst awaiting National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) deployment, admission into Law School or onward educational or career pursuits. During the gap-year internship, candidates are given the chance to get valuable work experience while building a career. This program provides selected candidates with a platform to gain new skills, develop a more exciting resume, and have a better understanding of their area of interest.
It is indeed an interesting and invaluable learning experience. Few months into the program, I can confidently say that being an AB National Service Trainee has showed me how leading global law firms operate, it has taught me how professional lawyers work and interact, what service standards are required by clients, and which projects are handled by the different practices. As an Trainee AB, I am happy to know we are not restricted to a particular practice area. There is always an opportunity to move around if you show significant interest and you have exhibited requisite skills.
“The Aina Blankson Incubation Leadership Program has exposed me to the rudiments of the legal profession and presented me with a solid foundation to thrive. During the program, I have actively participated in major and complex transactions handled by the Firm. Also, I was given the opportunity to interface directly with clients. All in all, the Program was a good experience for me as I have improved my writing, problem-solving and critical thinking skills. The Firm has inspired me to be a better version of myself.”
AB's impressive range of clients and work, coupled with the professional yet informal nature of the work environment, made an immediate impact on me. From the beginning of the graduate program, I was involved in the highest quality of legal work, providing litigation and general corporate advice. Much of the experience I gained during the graduate program was real 'hands-on'. I have been given a high level of responsibility and the opportunity to work on several high-level transactions and proposals with the senior lawyers, that has meant the work has always been stimulating and rewarding
All applications should be made online in accordance with the Leadership Incubation Program format which should be accompanied with a letter addressed to the Director; Aina Blankson Leadership Incubation Program.
Please note, all prospective graduate trainees are required to send their application to firstname.lastname@example.org, while internship applicants should send their applications to email@example.com.
Your application should include a detailed CV which should include full account of your school university results, academic activities, extracurricular activities, linguistic skills, amongst others relevant items.
Applicants must also submit a cover letter which should provide a short introduction, including details on why you have chosen to pursue law or your chosen career. The cover letter should also state why you should be considered for the Leadership Incubation Program.
Due to limited availability of spaces, it is advisable to send in your application in good time and specify your intended period for internship. Please note, all graduate trainee and internship openings are often announced on the Firm’s website www.ainablankson.com.
We expect our applicants to demonstrate the ability to achieve a 2:1 degree or higher at the university and/or in Law school. Applicants with second class upper divisions in both University and Law School are given priority in the selection process. Nonetheless, as we look beyond academic achievements, those who have not met the 2.1 requirement may be considered in exceptional circumstances.
However, as this is the exception and not the rule, such applicants must demonstrate capacity for originality, creative thinking, proven track record of excellence over the years and such other attributes which demonstrate dogged determination in the face of adversity.